What type of posts do you like best?

New Blog Address

Wednesday, April 6, 2011

All in a Day: What if my children won’t complete their chores?





All in a Day: What if my children won’t complete their chores?






I rarely have a problem with a child refusing to do chores.  We do have some new issues with whining with a few of the children, a problem I am working to correct with motivational rewards. There has been alot of changes in our home in the past few months and we are all still adjusting.


Teaching obedience at an early age makes life alot easier. We begin to teach obedience and self discipline beginning with our toddlers. They are given chores and are praised when it is done. This teaches responsibility, self discipline and self esteem. You can see this when a small child comes to you excitedly to tell you he has picked up his toys all by himself.


When a parent tells a child to do something the child is required to be obedient. When it comes to chores there is no exception. If a child refuses to do what is asked of them there is no discussion or debate. There are no negotiations. If a child were to flat our refuse, they would miss their next meal. I rarely have complete refusal. I do not send children to bed for lack of obedience. If sitting in bed alone, quite, peaceful, were a punishment for disobedience, I would consider disobedience myself. They are to sit in the area of that chore until the chore is completed. 


Our usual chore problem of late is not refusal but delay and procrastination. I recently posted a sign in our kitchen and school room that reads. "If you don't have time to do it right, you must have time to do it over." If a child chooses to spend an hour doing a 15 min chore, thats is their hour of time. We do chores 3 times a day with free time following.  If they want time to draw, play, they need to have their chores done quickly and properly.  



Check out the other All in a Day Bloggers...
Carrie @ Our Full House
Monica @ Natural Mama
Renee @ Bakers Dozen

2 comments:

  1. Glad you joined us!

    Which pic? Were you doing socks or sweeping? LOL!

    Christi

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have given me a few ideas. Thanks. I struggle daily with procrastination and whining in my children. It is extremely frustrating. I never whined or complained as a child...nor did I disrespect or dishonor. I wonder daily why it seems to have multiplied with the next generation.

    ReplyDelete

Savings Logs

Beginning Jan. 1, 2009
Total Price of Items Purchased:
$11493.86
Total Savings:
$4583.86
Total Spent:
$6911.65
****************
Beginning Jan. 1, 2010
Total Price of Items Purchased:
$1700.04
Total Savings:
$617.23
Total Spent:
$1082.81 * stopped Spring 2010*
****************
Beginning Jan. 1, 2011
Total Price of Items Purchased:
$
Total Savings:
$
Total Spent:
$

Click HERE to see monthly logs

They Call Me Mom